Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Money for Nothing

I've been making a lot of negative comments about myself on this thing lately. Probably because I've been feeling...gasp...bad about myself. (January always seems to do that to me. It's my least favorite month of the year.) So today I did something to try to make myself feel better. Chris has been encouraging me to do it for months, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. But with the thought of taking family pictures soon, I realized it was needed, so I caved. Yesterday I set up an appointment and today I drove myself to to J.C. Penny's and walked into the hair salon. I had some pictures in mind of what I wanted, but I was really nervous. The last time I went to hair salon with a big change in mind I came out very unhappy with the outcome. (I will never perm my hair again!)

My stylist sounded like she was from India, so I guess we didn't communicate very well, either that or she just didn't listen to me. (I'm going for the not listening part. ) When I sat down I told her I wanted it cut fairly short, with some layers and if she could layer it so that I don't HAVE to curl it every day that would be nice, because curl just doesn't stay in my hair, then I asked her to show me how to style it, I've never had layers before (Pathetic I know) and I'm nervous about doing my hair myself, because I'm pretty much incompetent when it comes to doing my own hair.

She washed my hair and told me I need better shampoo. Surprise! Laura has dandruff. I've had it all my life so it's not such a surprise, that I have that particular malady, today. As she washed I told her my hair was feeling particularly thick, and if she could thin it out a little that would be nice. She assured me that she would do just that. We moved back to the cutting station. She measured off two inches, and when I told her I wanted around 4 she was shocked. Yes I want my hair cut to my shoulders! So she went to work, cutting and layering. "can you make the front frame my face a little?" So she cuts some more....off the bottom. Is it so hard to put some small layers around my face?

Then I asked her to style my hair. She seemed surprised, even though I had mentioned it earlier. "Are you sure you want to spend an extra $10 on that?" Yes, have you not been listening to me? No you haven't because you forgot to thin out my hair like you said you would! Is what I wanted to say....but I didn't. What I said was "I would really like it if you could show me how to style my hair." She gave me this strange look, then proceeded to clumsily dry my hair, which is when I should have gotten up and left, but it ended up being worth it because she had to trim off some hairs that she missed, and only noticed when my hair was dry.

All in all, not the best experience of my life, and I will not being going back to that salon, but at least my hair no longer has four inches of split ends. So....what do you think?


not my best picture but whatever!

You're now saying to yourself "Is there really a difference?" Which is where my biggest unhappiness with the whole hair cut comes in. I wanted a real change, people. Something different! Higher layers that are actually noticeable might be nice. Oh well. I'll try again in another six months or so, somewhere else.

7 comments:

Ross, Amanda, and Sons said...

That is so frustrating when you prepare yourself for a big change and then the hairdresser decides what you want. You do look really cute though!

Melissa L. said...

I agree: it looks cute. :) I also agree that it'd be fun to see you with super short, layered hair. If you're ever back in SLC I have a FABULOUS stylist I could recommend. She's a little pricey (about $40 for cut & style), but totally worth it (in my opinion)!

JenD said...

Laura, I like it. You're right, not a big change, but it's cute and sometimes even a few inches just makes it so much easier to work with.

Rebecca said...

That stinks when you pay someone to do a service and then they don't do it right. I seem to find those hairdressers all the time that don't do it exactly right. I do think your hair looks cute though.

abbeybutton said...

Oh Laura. You are so dang cute! I do hate that not getting the right cut! I love my short hair and doubt I will ever go back to long.... you should find out if there is someone in your ward with a daughter in beauty school - I guarantee she would love to chop it off and take the time to do everything you wanted! I know that sounds scary but I swear those girls right out of beauty school LOVE to do complete hair makeovers!

Cindy said...

I think it's cute! Sorry you had a bad experience. I'm glad I have my sister fairly close to do mine. I hate finding stylists. Good luck finding someone for next time. It is really cute, though!

Unknown said...

January is blaaa. I went and got a haircut too and actually found a good place. I go to Bubbles in the mall, right next to Macy's on the bottom floor. Shampoo, cut and style is $30.00. I have had two stylists there, Anna Song and Shakib and they have both have been great. No language barrier and they were fast. It is my experience that if the stylist works fast they know how to do your hair. Your hair does look cute, but I so understand the desire for the dramatic change. Every few years I cut my hair really short, just for the change of it.