Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Great Monuments of DC

On Thursday we traveled into DC and found a parking space then walked a large loop around to see some of the large monuments.

We first went to the Jefferson Memorial. When I was little my family took a trip to Dc and the only memorial we didn't visit was the Jefferson, so it was nice to finally see what we missed.




Then we walked over to the Washington Memorial.

While we were there we had a presidential Helicopter pass by us I though this was a good photo.


We didn't go up the tower, but I've always loved the look of the flags surrounding it.


Then we headed over to the World War II Memorial. I liked this one the best. There was a peaceful feeling that surrounded the fountain, and I thought of Grandpa Pace and remembered the stories he's told me of his experiences in the Philippines.


The word "Tyranny" under the Army Seal made me laugh.

Then to complete our loop we headed for the Lincoln Memorial.


Landon didn't want to go up in the elevator, but insisted on climbing all the steps. Then, because the big statues scared him he did this.


and this....


He refused to go into the Memorial so he sat on the steps and stared down at the big rectangle ponds that rest between the Washington and Lincoln Memorials. I think he was just really tired from running everywhere.

1 comment:

Gail said...

Oh I loved DC, I loved all those iconic momuments.

I really love that photo of Landon on the steps by the fountains, that was the world war II memorial wasnt it? Ive forgotten them now.