Monday, October 5, 2009

Sam and High Places

Sam has been a bit of a handful lately. He's discovered the joy of finding things in high places. He loves to push chairs over to the kitchen counter so he can climb up and get things down. Things like markers, crayons, pens, my dragon and fairy collectibles, and anything sharp. I think I've moved the knife block(that thing that holds all my sharp knives) to five different spots in hopes of him NOT pulling out the paring knife and running around the house with it. It makes me feel like a bad mom sometimes when I don't notice he has a knife until he pokes someone with it. On Friday, (I was, ironically, blogging my last post) when I looked up to find Sam drawing on the kitchen cupboards with a black Sharpie. I gasped and then shouted out his name. He looked up and immediately started to cry. He knows he's not supposed to color on anything but paper, so he knew he was in trouble.


It took us just over an hour to get it scrubbed off the surfaces. Sam cried the whole time. Chris and I are hoping that he learned his lesson this time, because he obviously didn't learn from the last time he was forced to scrub the floor. Chris is especially frustrated about Sam's behavior because he knows it's something he, himself would have done as a child. I just don't want to clean permanent marker off the floor ever again.

Also - While making lunch today, I found several marks that we missed......it seems more cleaning is required.


On another note: Does anyone know how to remove green food coloring from carpet. My carpet cleaning solution just isn't working. (Yes the green food coloring in the carpet is also the result of a certain little boy climbing on the counter.)

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh dear! Hopefully that's something he'll grow out of. Kaden isn't much for getting into stuff, and I'm grateful. He does color on stuff he shouldn't though, but luckily it's with washable marker. He's just super hyper.

When we went to see Jaron's parents a few weeks ago, I apologized to his mom for Kaden's bouncing-off-the-walls-hyperness. She said, "That's ok, that's exactly how Jaron was at age 3." It's all their dad's fault :)

Rebecca said...

ya, I would be mad about that too! Maybe if he has to keep cleaning it off himself He'll realize that it's not fun.

Have you tried oxiclean for the food coloring? It might work. I'd test it somewhere first. Also, hairspray might work. Makayla wrote on our carpet with a marker and I found that suggestion online and it worked to get it out. I wonder if you called the comments and questions # on the food coloring if they would have a suggestion of how to get it out. Good luck. Let me know if anything works.